About This Project - by Jill Kronstadt, Associate Professor, English

In Fall 2011, at Montgomery College's Germantown campus, my Basic Writing II class had a theme of homelessness and community engagement. As part of this project, we read Jeannette Walls' memoir The Glass Castle; volunteered for service learning project related to homelessness in Montgomery County, Maryland; and wrote essays that connected our reading and service learning.

This fall, with the help of Germantown's Service Learning Coordinator, Kris Borcherding, our class volunteered for service projects that would help shed light on the memoir. Most of the class participated in Montgomery County's first-ever Homeless Resource Day, with a few other students volunteering to tutor children in math, serve Thanksgiving dinner to families in poverty, or bag nonperishable foods for kids who would otherwise go hungry over the weekends.

On October 19, 2011, Montgomery County bussed homeless people from shelters and encampments to a central location in Gaithersburg, Maryland. Students who volunteered at the Homeless Resource Day guided these homeless guests through a maze of medical, dental, mental health, personal care, and social services that had gathered in one location for one-stop access to resources. The day was a huge success, with MC students earning particular kudos for their dedication, enthusiasm, and generosity.

The essays that follow are based on the reading and volunteering we completed during the semester and were written, revised, and edited entirely by the students. Not all the students elected to have their essays published on this website, but the ones that did show growth in both writing and awareness of the issue of homelessness.

Enjoy!

Jill Kronstadt
Associate Professor, English
Montgomery College
Germantown, MD



Saturday, December 10, 2011

The Three Best Traits a Volunteer Can Have by Josh Brunvoll


When I found out that volunteer work was required to pass my classes, I was excited to help out! I have been involved in community service and volunteer work since middle school, and I am chomping at the bit to volunteer again. It certainly isn’t an easy task to be a competent volunteer. I am a good volunteer because I have years of experience; I am a hard worker; and I have a positive attitude.

I am a good volunteer because I am very experienced in a variety of different serving opportunities. Several years ago, I did a week long community service trip in the past that was not only educational but also very fun. I helped the elderly and physically disabled by completing house projects they were unable to do. I have also packed Smart Sacks in the past for Manna Foods. This program gives kids the ability to eat packed food while they are home on the weekends and couldn’t normally eat. My experience makes me a good volunteer because of my firsthand knowledge of the less fortunate and my skills in helping them. 
Another good attribute I have is being a hard worker. On my week long missions trips I worked 50 hours in a week to complete projects such as painting, siding, and minor construction. I remember when my team of volunteers and I had to work overtime to complete a difficult project for a handicapped man. Another example of my work ethic is my commitment to baseball. Last season I was honored to be nominated for All-Gazette First Team in baseball and I realize that it was from years of dedication to get there. As an athlete and a volunteer, I know that being hardworking is essential.

I am a good volunteer because I have a positive attitude. When my high school baseball team lost to our rivals last spring, we started to implode on the field and off. Instead of moping around and dragging my feet, I picked myself up and rallied the rest of my team for the next game ahead. Not only does a good attitude make me feel better, but it also helps others. For instance, on my service trip to Mattoon, Illinois, we had the tough job of building a wheelchair ramp on a mobile home. The lack of a house foundation made measuring and leveling in its construction very difficult. I realize when I volunteer (or play baseball) with a positive attitude it becomes contagious to others. 

Being a good volunteer means having experience, possessing a hard work ethic, and maintaining a positive attitude. I have also discovered that these qualities make volunteering easier and more fun. I love getting the chance to volunteer and help make a beneficial difference in someone else’s life.

No comments:

Post a Comment